Solar Eclipses, The Gag Rule, and The Return to the Hollow Earth
In this episode, we look at John Quincy Adams’s dangerous love of astronomy—particularly solar eclipses—in a story first covered here in the post “Solar Eclipse Tips from John Quincy Adams.”
Then we share some exciting updates about John Quincy Adams and the hollow earth theory, a story covered in our Season 1 episode “John Quincy Adams vs. the Internet” and later expanded in the article “John Quincy Adams and the Mole People Myth.”
And finally we chat with the incredible Bob Crawford about his new podcast Founding Son: John Quincy’s America, and Adams’s epic battle with the Southern slavocracy over the Gag Rule.
- Check out Founding Son: John Quincy’s America.
- Watch Howard’s History Camp America 2021 presentation “Saving John Quincy Adams from Alligators and Mole People.”
- Read Cracked Apologizes to John Quincy Adams.
- Read Smithsonian Magazine’s updated article: John Quincy Adams Was An Ardent Support of Exploration.
- Get the audio book version of Sarah Vowell’s Assassination Vacation that made a big impact on both Howard and Bob Crawford.
- Read the New York Times interview with Bob Crawford: An Avett Brother Meets A Founding Son: John Quincy Adams by Jennifer Schuessler